Friday 14 December 2012

Chocolate Cake - moist and delicious



I found this recipe in one of our local newspapers - The Manitoba Cooperator
I made a few changes when I made it. I will post the recipe as it came from the newspaper but I will describe the changes that I made at the bottom of the post. I like this recipe as it does not require any milk and that is a plus for me!

Chocolate Cake
( from the Manitoba Cooperator )

2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup canola oil
3 cups whole barley flour
2/3 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups boiling water

In large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, vanilla, and oil for four minutes. In another bowl sift together barley flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into liquid mixture alternately with boiling water starting and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cool, then frost with favorite icing. Makes approximately 24 servings.

Note: the changes I made because I like my Chocolate cakes moist and rich.
I used brown sugar - packed in place of the sugar
I added 1/2 cup sweetened applesauce ( from the grocery store )
I used regular white flour since I do not have any barley flour in the house
I cut down on the amount of salt
I put the batter in two pans - one 9x13 inch pan and one pan that is 8x8 inch because I thought it would be too much batter for just one pan.


My cake turned out really delicious!
Here is a picture of my Chocolate Cake:

No comments:

Post a Comment