Wednesday 20 February 2013

Gluten Free Dinner Buns - recipe, directions, pictures

In our spiritual life we need bread - nourishment for our souls. Jesus says  in John chapter 6 that He is the bread of life. John 6: 51 says: I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

In this post I want to share with you how I bake gluten-free Dinner Buns. I will post my recipe as well as pictures that I took in my kitchen as I was mixing and baking the buns. My husband has Celiac Disease and cannot consume any gluten but he can have milk and eggs so my recipe uses both milk and eggs. Take all precautions to use only gluten free ingredients when making these buns. I developed this recipe after many years of baking and cooking for my husband. He uses these buns when we have hamburgers on the barbeque or with chilli, or even just with jam. The procedure for making gluten free buns is entirely different from  making regular bread so don't be surprised if it seems like an odd way of making buns, it is just the way it needs to be done.

Here is a picture of the finished Dinner Buns:





Here is my recipe: The recipe yields about 18- 20 dinner buns.
Sister Sparrow's Gluten-free Dinner Buns

2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/3 cup soft margarine, melted
1 and 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups packed Celimix white bread mix ( the first ingredient in the mix is cornstarch)
1 and 3/4 cups Celimix Rice bread mix  ( first ingredient is rice flour)

Instructions
Warm up the milk in the microwave till it is warm but not hot. and add the water, sugar, salt, eggs and melted margarine. Beat together with heavy duty electric mixer. Now sprinkle in the yeast and baking powder and beat again to mix well. Now beat in the 2 cups of the Celimix white bread mix ( where on the bag, you will notice the first ingredient is cornstarch). Beat together well.  Now add the 1 and 3/4 cup Celimix Rice bread mix and beat together well. The batter quickly becomes very stiff as you add the rice bread mix.

Here is a picture of the finished batter.



Here is a picture of the Buns batter in the pans:


 You will need to have purchased small tin foil baking cups.  Grease ( I use cooking spray ) the small tin foil baking cups. Fill the baking cups with the bun batter - filling each cup only half full. Set the indivdual baking cups filled with bun batter onto a cookie sheet. Place in a warm place to rise. ( I prewarm my oven just a tiny bit and set them in there to rise) Let rise for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F. ( If you have set your buns in the oven to warm, be sure you remove them before turning on the oven to preheat for baking the buns).
Bake the cookie sheet filled with the individual buns for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool. Enjoy!
Store the buns in the freezer in an airtight container such as an ice-cream pail. When you are planning on having a bun for a meal, warm it in the microwave just prior to the meal. Do not take it out to defrost ahead of time as the buns become dry easy if they out of the freezer. The buns are best fresh or warmed up a bit in the microwave. When the bun is warm again, it will be nice and soft.

Here is a picture of the buns just after they are baked:


To give you an understanding of the two different bread mixes that I use: The reason I use a combination of both of the mixes is that I have found it makes better buns if I use the two kinds of bread mix together.

This is the White Bread Mix




And next is a picture of the Rice bread mix:





No comments:

Post a Comment